Tuesday 13 December 2011

Guestbook entries

This year, 54 of our volunteers took the opportunity to write in our African Impact Guestbook. Here is Mark Rippel's final entry for the year, the last volunteer to leave the projects for 2011.  


Mark takes the lead on teaching English to some of our
Ezwenelisha Support Group members. 
As my time with African Impact comes to an end, I can only shake my head in amazement that I've been given the opportunity to participate in their project.

My time and experiences here have been so rewarding - even life-changing. I came here knowing very little about the culture and the people, but I'm leaving with a lifetime of memories.

The people in the Zulu communities have been so welcoming to us. They have not only taught us about their customs (especially the song and dance) but, more importantly, through them we all learned about genuine hospitality and about appreciating each and everything.

Many of the people in the communities lead difficult lives but I've always been touched by their pride and dignity. They hardly complain about anything and no one who has spent any time here can ever forget the ever-present smiles both from the children and the adults.

Mark and his fellow medical volunteer Laura teaching the
"ABCs of HIV" to a group on World AIDS Day. 
I especially want to thank Michelle, Alanna and Sofie for all the help and support they give the volunteers. They make a difficult job look easy.

I also want Nokwethemba and Shwele to know that they are the keys to African Impact's success in the communities. Their dedication and charisma are amazing.

Thanks also to Mumsie, Zakhele and Nonhlanhla for making our stay so comfortable.

Most importantly, I want all future volunteers to know that over the past eight weeks I've beenconvinced that a small organization with dedicated people can make a difference. No kind deed or gesture can ever be deemed as being too small if it brightens the day of another for even a moment.

-Mark Rippel, Medical Project (October 17 - December 12, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment