Wednesday 14 March 2012

Staff Profile: Alanna Wallace

Alanna making a speech during our
International Women's Day event in Khula.
After volunteering three times with African Impact in St Lucia while studying at university (once as a community volunteer and twice with the medical project), Alanna began working as Volunteer Coordinator in May of 2011 and is now St Lucia’s Project Manager.

Originally a student in Canada, Alanna is currently studying via correspondence online to receive a post-graduate degree in African and International Development at the University of Edinburgh.

“As a volunteer, being on projects helped me understand African and international development outside of the classroom,” says Alanna. “I was able to conduct research while volunteering, keep a blog and use the knowledge I gathered in St Lucia while writing papers at university.”

“Studying while working for African Impact allows me to use my knowledge of the practice of development to ensure our projects are sustainable and forward-thinking,” concluded Alanna.

Along with studying and working at what she’s passionate about, Alanna maintains that the main reason she decided to come work for African Impact is to ensure future volunteers have the time of their lives.

“I love my job because every day I get to help volunteers have as positive an experience as I had.”

No comments:

Post a Comment