Thursday 21 June 2012

Staff Profile; Carla

Carla volunteered with African Impact at our Livingstone Community Project in Zambia during June of 2010. Carla returned to Livingstone in 2011 as volunteer coordinator and although she says she thought she would never go to the same project twice, she quickly realised that she missed the people and friendships she made while volunteering.


She is from Dublin, Ireland where she has just completed a BA in Psychology. After her final exams finished in May, she flew out to South Africa the following day to be our new volunteer coordinator in St Lucia. “Volunteering with African Impact exceeded every expectation of what I thought it would be like to be a volunteer,” says Carla. “I felt l was more than a volunteer and like part of the community by then end of my eight weeks.”

Carla has taught dance and drama for the past five years and this is reflected in her enthusiasm and energy both out on project and back at the house.

“If someone were to ask me to describe my perfect job this would be it," explains Carla. "I love being out on project and working as part of a team. I love being able to put a smile on a child’s face by doing the smallest thing. I have built friendships, and still am, with both fellow volunteers and people in the local communities. I am having an amazing experience and would like others to have that too.”





No comments:

Post a Comment