Thursday 25 October 2012

Volunteer case study: Medical

Sarah on home-based care.
Sarah Marchand originally planned on volunteering for one month on the African Impact, St Lucia Medical Project. She instantly fell in love with the projects and the people and expressed her interest in extending her stay for an additional month. 

This is what Sarah has to say about her time in St Lucia as a medical volunteer.

Volunteer Profile
Name: Sarah Marchand
Age: 21
From: Connecticut, USA
Dates in St. Lucia: 20/08/12 - 26/10/12

Why did you choose the SLM project?
I was originally interested in the medical project because it seemed as if we got to visit patients in their homes and really get an insider view of their community. I was curious to see how their ways of life were different from my own. I was also very interested in being in Africa. For me it was between the Zambia program and the St. Lucia program and in the end I booked with SLM.

Why choose Africa? South Africa? St. Lucia?
Growing up I lived next door to a woman from Botswana. I would always go sit in her kitchen or on her porch and listen to stories of her childhood for hours. Ever since a young age I wanted to come to Africa because of her. I read every classic book about Africa and was just fascinated by what I learned. I’m with the project for two months as part of an internship through my university. When I was searching for a program to work with I knew that it was finally my chance to come to Africa. The St Lucia medical program just happened to be one I was particularly interested in.

Are you studying for medical related studies or have experience in the medical field?
In school I am studying Neuroscience but I am interested in becoming a Nurse Practitioner, hopefully with pediatrics. However, I also love working with the elderly population, which worked out well since we visit a lot of Gogos (grandmothers) on the home based care program. Also this summer I got certified as a Nurses Assistant back home in the US.

What is it like to be a medical volunteer?
Some days are incredible and inspiring and other days can be a little sad, but that is all part of the experience. On a daily basis we come into contact with people of various ages in intimate settings. Many times we get to sit in people’s homes and hear about the ups and downs of their lives. Sometimes we witness their hardships and try to help in any way possible, even if that is just providing them with a little bit of comfort and support. Other days we are invited inside for birthday cake or to share a good laugh and story with them. Every day is structured somewhat the same but at the same time every day as a medical volunteer holds something so new and exciting.
Medical volunteer Sarah with home-based care patient / Ezwenelisha Support Group member Bheki.




What were your highlights?
It’s hard to pick one project I’ve enjoyed the most or one day that has been the best. I have loved support group and getting to know the different members. I’ve also loved teaching HIV education at the primary school. It always feels good when a child in the community sees you outside of school and remembers your name or when someone from another project shows appreciation toward you. I remember at one support group when the members sang thanks to each person in the group and when they say thanks to their “Sisi’s” all of the volunteers got to dance in the middle of the circle. I was so moved. I felt incredibly loved and accepted by these women of the community. I don’t think I will ever forget that.

You can also read Sarah's personal blog to hear all about her experience as a medical volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment