Monday 11 March 2013

Malwande - one of the many who have stolen a volunteer's heart


Malwande is a four year old girl who started off as one of our Home Based Care patients. When our Medical Coordinator Nokwethemba and Business Manager Sonja had asked about her non-attendance at any creches in Khula it was discovered it was for her Gogo's fear of Malwande being left behind as a result of her disability. African Impact volunteers were thrilled to take Malwande on board and read what one volunteer has to say...

This wonderful little girl stepped right into the middle of my heart. The first time I met her she was a bit shy at first but it changed quickly. A girl with a big smile who wanted to be with and enjoyed getting to be with all the children.

When she started at Khula Nomathiya she quickly learned the different songs and participated with pleasure in her own way. Malwande has weak legs and can't walk. She could go through a little bit, but the muscles in her legs need to be trained. There is much Malwande need to practice on, but just to be with the other children stimulates her!

 It was a happy day in my life when permission was allowed for Malwande to join on the next creche rotation to Simunye.  I was afraid that she would have to stay home with her gogo and sit under a tree all day again and not be around other children. I have thought that in two years I will hopefully return and then I want to see her again. I will follow her development and progress with joy!

I miss both her and her great and many hugs.


 Marie - Education volunteer, 13 January 13 -23 March 13





           

No comments:

Post a Comment