Wednesday 26 June 2013

Garbage? We think not!

Bowling using recyclable bottles as pins!

Preaching environmental sustainability is one of our key goals, and it can be seen throughout our education, medical and community projects. From reusing bottles and bags to creating fun games out of used materials, check out the following blog by Volunteer Coordinator Monique Ledger to find out how we're doing our part to save the planet! 

Our Garbage Pick Up project has really gained momentum over the last three months after a few little tweaks, including a change of location, a 7th pickup 'Certificate of Dedication' and an end-of-month 'Recyclable Goods Workshop.'

The first recyclable goods workshop was hosted by volunteers when they took to demonstrating how an old coke bottle could be turned into a mosquito trap - the attendees were mighty impressed!

What followed across various projects was brilliant. Our lovely housekeepers Mumsy and Nonhlanhla began saving everything from coffee cans and tomato cans down to yoghurt containers and old plastic bottles.

Our Khula and Ezwenelisha Support Groups also had demonstrations led by volunteers using old bottles to create mosquito traps.

The first Holiday Club of the year involved many craft making ideas - using plasticbottles to make decorative flowers and cans to make kitchen utensil holders, as well as old water bottles to create a 10 pin bowling set.

Mosquito-trap building at one of our
support groups.
After our first  'Open Community Day' was held, and at a local's suggestion, volunteers jazzed up some old corn sweetcorn cans and made them into some pretty neat collection containers to be placed in Bed and Breakfasts.

Creche plans for themes such as musical instruments have been a massive hit! Some large old coffee tins have been turned into drums, and old salad dressing containers made into maracas - great tools for the children and the teachers!

As our next Holiday Club takes place there are many more activities and planning that is being undertaken by volunteers and integrating many craft activities that can include reusing old packaging. Volunteers and staff are always on the lookout for any new ideas to use what would be discarded material and turn it into something useful.. Please slide us a line if you have any suggestions!

2 comments:


  1. My name is Melessa smith, and I base in U.S.A...My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Zulu, which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Lydia,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Zulu E-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him VIA Email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before Dr Zulu, is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try High greatzuluspelltemple@gmail.com anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his Email greatzuluspelltemple@gmail.com OR CALL +2347037398466.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346




    ReplyDelete