Thursday 10 November 2011

The year so far – Community installment


Following on from yesterday's Medical update, today we have 4 months worth of Community..



Creche/Day Care
“I’ve never smiled so hard as I do at crèche, playing with wonderful kids..knowing you’ve made their day a little more fun, a little more educational, and a little more loving.” Steph, April


“I have to start with the reason I came out here, the kids. They’re so full of energy which can be difficult to keep up with at times but it’s never a chore. They’re all so happy all of the time which makes it even harder to leave. The teachers are all so welcoming and really help you connect with the kids. All 3 creche’s touched me in different ways and it will be impossible to forget the time I spent at each of them.” Romin, March



The Community Volunteers have worked hard with the three crèches and have taught the children the alphabet, numbers, colours, body parts, houses, animals and hygiene. As much as the learning is important for the children’s future, so is the play, love and attention the volunteers give them. The volunteers are giving the children an amazing start to their English, social and life skills, but this has also been reciprocated by the children’s spirit touching the volunteer’s hearts and for many changing their perspective on life. 

The volunteers have also got down and dirty with Crèche DIY; fixing playground equipment, and making baby beds. 

Everyone really enjoys these sessions as their hard work has been physically left at the crèches to get years of use. A great accomplishment by everyone involved and hugely appreciated by the crèches, especially the kids! 

During the school breaks we put on Holiday clubs for the kids. 

Khula Holiday club had a staggering 120+ kids most days, and Eswenelisha had smaller but by no means less significant 20. All the volunteers worked and played hard keeping the kids entertained and happy; and happy they definitely were! 



“The kids that I have met inspire me to be a better person and to appreciate all that I have. I have had the time of my life and I can’t wait to come back.” Drew, April



No comments:

Post a Comment